Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Favorite Things: Day Twenty Three

Home stretch time, and here's a two-fer Tuesday for you. These are two of my favorite discoveries of the year, bands that I had not paid any mind to, but through the power of some very strong releases (and eMusic making musical risk-taking much easier on the budget) I found some bands that I hope to follow for a while.

First up is Cut Copy and their excellent album In Ghost Colours that has found its way onto many year end lists*, but let me tell you, there's a reason for that, pretty much perfecting the melding of indie-pop and dance music into something that just appeals to me more than I would have thought possible if you had explained it to me beforehand. Here's a video** for Far Away:




Another find (for me) this year were The Mates of State. This husband and wife team makes beautiful indie pop music together and it's just a whole lot of fun. It's pretty much perfect music for my commute home to help shake off the workday. Though they did release a very good album this year, Re-Arrange Us, lately I've been enjoying Bring It Back which features this little slice of fried pop gold, Fraud in the 80's:



*Two list in particular of note are Poor Ditching Boy's Best Songs of 2008 List(featuring Lights and Music) and Kevin Church named Hearts on Fire his #10 track of 2008.

** Though not an "official" video, someone added the song "to the final race scene in cult classic 1986 BMX movie Rad". God, I love the internet (see also: Day Seven).

No comments: