Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Favorite Things: Day Three

Well, since we're into the holiday season, we'd best get into the spirit, and the best way to do that is with Christmas music. When it comes to Christmas albums, one album stands head and shoulders above the rest, A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector.


This record is not only the best Christmas record ever, it's easily one of the best pop records ever. Seriously, this thing stays on my iPod all year long ad when it comes up on shuffle, it's rare that it get skipped over. Now I understand that seeing the frayed, fright-wigged, crazy, possibly murdering old man that Mr. Spector has become makes it difficult to drop some cash into his pockets, but seriously, everyone needs to own this. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love is one of my top ten pop tunes ever, and I'll leave you with that:

While ACGFY is available as a stand-alone album, I'd highly recommend picking up the Phil Spector box set Back to Mono, which includes it in its entirety, that box is a must-own for any lover of pop music (which I just realized is out of print, that's just stupid).

3 comments:

Bill said...

Yep, this is "the" holiday album that all others should be compared to. I'm usually not one to go for holiday-themed tunes but anything from this one always hits the spot. Great record.

Anonymous said...

With due respect, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) is certainly good, but Marshmallow World, for me, is far better at capturing some yuletide spirit.

Matt said...

Amen Jason!!! Good lord, reading these Favorite Things, it's like we were separated at birth.

I remember getting the Back to Mono set one year under the tree from Santa and just poring over it...I went through a big Spector phase for a while. Still would love to read a good bio of him sometime...have you read any of the books on him?

His Ramones record is pretty good too.

For me, nothing says "Christmas" like crazed alleged murderer Phil Spector purring his holiday greeting over my stereo speakers.