Thursday, December 25, 2008

Favorite Things: Christmas Day

Finally, one of my favorite things in the world is the beach, because, barring flight delays, that's where I'm on my way to right now. Ha ha ha suckers!!!

OK, for reals, one of my truly favorite things is Christmas Day. While I am no stranger to the seasonal melancholy and the nigh-unbearable stress that the holiday season loads upon us all, somehow, once the day itself dawns, that all washes away. Suddenly it's a flurry of wrapping paper and smiles. Once the first-thing-in-the-morning insanity wanes, it becomes a more relaxed day of playing with toys, drinking coffee and moseying on over to a family-members house for comfort food. I realize that's not everyone's experience (especially if you're hosting), but I think the best way to put it is as Ira Glass said on a This American Life Christmas special, when he said, "Christmas is the time when everyone is the same person that they normally are, but only more so." That pretty much sums it up, we're all good parents, or siblings, or sons and daughters, only more so. And fortunatley, very few of us are truly miserable bastards. So, on this day, I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful, relaxing day with your family. If you celebrate it, I wish you all a truly Merry Christmas and if you don't, I wish you a happy holiday of whatever type you choose.

No comments: