Thursday, July 17, 2008

Weekly Singles - 7.16.08

Here we go, here we go, here we go....

X-Factor #33 - I really can't explain it, but despite complaining that I was ready to drop this title last month, it manages to draw me back in. Maybe it's because this title really only seems to have momentum when it's in the midst of a big cross-over, it seems like it's been 2 years since the book has actually had a story arch of their own. I guess the big draw for this issue (other than the SI tie-in) is that Peter David has reunited with Larry Stroman, the artist from his "classic" X-Factor run, but it's no big deal for me. In fact, I loved those old books more in spite of Stroman than because of him. His art is a weird mix of "90's Extreme" and "cartoony" that doesn't work for me. Anyway they've got me through this crossover, and if it keeps up, I'll be back on-board for the long(er) haul.

Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge #1 - Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins' run on The Flash was the first run I had really followed of that character and I really liked what they did, but it didn't seem to last long enough. This is a pretty darn good continuation of their past stuff, so I'll be happy to hop on and see where it goes.

Captain America #40 - So yeah, still not much to say. This is a really amazing series, forty issues into this latest relaunch they're still playing off of plot threads set up in the first issue. Normally that would be a prescription for pissing readers off, but just the level of sophistication in the story-telling by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting (and Mike Perkins and others as well) is just fantastic. I love this book, and while I'm excited for the finish of this long-ass story arc, I'm just as excited to enjoy the ride.

Trinity #7 - I know, I know, I said that I'd go with one-a-month on this series, but this issue finally seems to be getting somewhere. The threat seems to finally gain some weight and we get a good scene of Batman ordering everyone around, showing just how deep his hooks into superhero-dom of the DCU go. Good stuff, a more robust opinion will come along next week.

Marvel Adventures: Avengers #28 - Pretty much what Kevin said.

Oh yeah, and apparently:
Hulk hates the Robot

So that's what I got, no real clear winner on "Best of the Week", but I guess I'd give it to Trinity for finally going somewhere. See y'all soon.

No comments: