Sunday, January 25, 2009

How to Start a Day, Badly


I made chili last night, and it turned out OK, but not as good as I would have hoped when I figured in the amount of effort I had put into it. Anyway, I had to chop up something like 7 jalapeno peppers for the recipe* and despite washing my hands several thousand times during the cooking process, apparently some of the pepper oils hitched a ride on my fingers, none-the-less.

Anyway, long story short, though feeling a slight burning when I took out my contacts before bed, nothing could prepare me for the horror that I was dealt when I put them back in in the morning. I dropped to my knees and squealed like a little girl seeing a Jonas Brother and it took every bit of will power I had to pull my eye open and get the damn thing out again.

However, needless to say, there was no way my day could go downhill from that point on, so I had that going for me.**

*I used the standard recipe from The Joy of Cooking, with some alterations of my own.

** And yes, after a quick Google search I leaned that I have to use some type of cleaner with citrus or detergent qualities to break up the oils, but shit, next time I'm wearing rubber gloves if I'm chopping peppers.

No comments: