Monday, January 26, 2009

A Book I Want

Kevin Church put out the call for people to submit solicitations for collections that you want to see happen. Here's mine, by all accounts, this is pretty awful stuff, but boy, did I love this book when I was a kid:



THE ESSENTIAL WEST COAST AVENGERS
Written by ROGER STERN & STEVE ENGLEHART
Penciled by BOB HALL,AL MILGROM, JOE SINNOTT AND FRIENDS
Cover by BOB HALL
Dark Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers! Copy cats! Look here True Believers to see the original Avengers spin-off! Watch as everyone's, fan-favorite couple Hawkeye and Mockingbird assemble the most stunning group of heroes yet! Also featuring Iron Man, Wonderman, Tigra and even more!
Collects West Coast Avengers Mini-Series 1-4 and West Coast Avengers 1-23.
544 PGS / All Ages … $16.99

5 comments:

x-man75 said...

Pretty awful??? Come on man, the team was led by frigging Hawkeye! The WCA was AWESOME!!! For my money, Marvel could have teamed Hawkeye with 2 nuns, an alligator, a robot and a talking car and I'd have happily brought that book!

Hell, I'm such a Hawkeye mark I actually own the old Solo Avengers comics. Now THOSE were some truly bad books, where we had such thrilling battles such as Hawkeye vs The Bullet Biker, or Clint facing down Oddball and his deadly jugglers!

All kidding aside, your solicitation was so well done that I actually mistook it for a real solit initially. Great job channeling Stan Lee's over the top salesmanship for your solicitation Jason!

Oh and seriously, WCA was pretty bad, but in a "so bad it's funny" sort of way. Some of my favorite inadvertently funny comic moments came from WCA, such as the "classic" saga of Hank Pym and Pym's "son" Ultron Mark 12... Man, that was some funny stuff!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this stuff in 7th grade. I've got a few dozen of these beauties in my parents' attic. Would you like me to glue 'em togther and send 'em along?

Bill said...

Every one of those issues you mentioned were part of that big donation of comics I made about a month ago.

When originally pooling everything together to send over, I did stop here and there for a bit to read a few of those issues. I figured that any title I had of that many issues couldn't be too bad but MMMAAANNN...they were bad.

Note to self: never give your teenage counterpart the benefit of the doubt.

Jason said...

I actually still own my whole run of this series and despite how much Al Milgrom's art burns my eyes Whenever I crack it open, I doubt I'll ever be able to get rid of them.

And yes, x-man75, I too have a whole bunch of Solo Avengers books. I don't even think Goodwill will take those off my hands.

x-man75 said...

Wow, we have got to be just about the only people crazy enough to actually know about, let alone own Solo Avengers! To my ultimate shame, I actually own the entire series, from Solo Avengers through its transformation to Avengers Spotlight.

You know what the worst thing is? Now that I've been writing about these comics, I kind of want to take them out and see if they were as bad as I remember them to be!