Monday, January 07, 2008

2007, Gone Like Donkey Kong, Part 2

Best On-Going Series of Articles On-Line: Nathan Rabin's My Year of Flops on the AV Club

Mr. Rabin has been taking one (hundred and four) for the entire internet team by writing this year's worth of articles rating a litany of bad, horrible or simply misguided movies that have been inflicted upon the viewing public. Whether it's making a serious attempt at finding the good in Francis Ford Coppola's One From the Heart, or mercilessly mocking the bizarre disco-nightmare musical of The Apple, he brings the funny, along with just the right amount of insight. Kudos to you, Mr. Rabin, your nightmare is over, at least until the make you review Alvin & The Chipmunks 2.



Best On-Going Series: The Brave & The Bold

I really can't say much about this series than I already have. Pure fun super-hero writing by Mark Waid with pitch-perfect art by George Perez. Featuring team-ups ranging from the popular (Green Lantern and Batman) to the downright bizarre (The Boy Commandos & The Blackhawks?) the creators have managed to tell a galaxy and century spanning story that is timeless in it's enjoyability.

Best New Series: The Immortal Iron Fist

Holy Smokes, both Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction came at us like they were shot out of a cannon this year, didn't they? Kung-fu action with just enough comedy to acknowledge the silliness of the premise and enough drama to make you feel the tension. All that and stuff like this:



Best Movie: Ratatouille

I love this movie. I don't know why, it's just perfect, funny, moving, and it so amazingly articulates it's points about the love of art and food that it just sings. The fact that both me and my four-year-old son can watch it and both of us get the same amount of enjoyment out of it is just gravy.

So that's all I got, I may have another, clean-up post, but that may be more of a quick-hit type list featuring me bitching about stuff that bugged me. Overall, 2007 kinda kicked my ass, but it ended well and 2008 is starting to shape up rather nicely.

2 comments:

lp said...

I got Tom, the husband, to read your blog. He wanted me to tell you that based on your recommendation he's going to read one of those comic thingies - The Brave and the Bold (is that like The Bold and the Beautiful?), I believe. He said it features one of his favorite artists.

Jason said...

Yay! I guess this makes me one of them internet taste-makers now. Quotes on the back of books shouldn't be far behind.

Anyway, I hope he enjoys it, George Perez is truly one of the best artist ever.