Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes, We Did


Though not my picture, this is pretty much my exact vantage point on the action last night. President-Elect Barack Obama was barely larger than a pin and I could only catch glimpses if I stood on my tip-toes. But damn, was it worth it.

We didn't head down to the rally until close to 8:00 and, though we had to wait in a line that snaked almost completely around the whole of Grant Park itself, everything moved rather quickly. We finally made it on to Hutchinson Field just when CNN declared Virgina for Obama. Maybe ten minutes later, they called the election and the place exploded. It was an amazing moment, an out-pouring of pure joy from over 100,000 people at the same exact time and that moment will be an experience that I will treasure.

After that, we stood at rapt attention while Sen. McCain delivered his gracious concession speech. The crowd was very respectful and there were very few boos. Though, the petty bitch in me took schadenfreude at the fact that Sarah Palin could barely hold the fake-smile on her face, watching her moments in the lime-light tick down to zero.

After that, I lit up my victory cigar and began the interminable wait until PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK OBAMA began his victory speech. The speech was well done, but by the time it came, the crowd was almost spent, and Obama looked like he was too, he poured every iota of energy he had into this campaign and he's more than earned his exhaustion (and hopefully twelve hours of uninterrupted sleep).

I could babble on more, but just suffice to say, I had an experience unlike any other last night, and though my legs are killing me, I wouldn't have traded it for the world. For the first time in a very, very long time, I'm excited for the direction our country is headed in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story Skip!
Rach x

Mike said...

and you are soo stupid, man