Sunday, July 08, 2007

Kwik-E-Hits - 7.8.07


So I only got one comic this week, but I did see a concert, a movie and did a whole gang of other stuff, so I thought I'd just do a quick bullet-point run-down of my thoughts.

  • All-Star Superman was a bit of a disappointment this week, after 6 great single-issue stories, I was sad to see that this Bizarro story is being stretched to three issues. That means that it'll be at least 6 months from when the first issue of this story hit until the last. That's a long-ass time. Still, that cover is awesome:


  • Went to see the Police on Thursday night and they were good, for a nostalgia act. Not exactly what I wanted, but close enough (especially after a few $7 Old Styles). Bill has a good assessment at his blog.
  • Saw Transformers last night and it was a good, big, dumb toy/GM/US Army commercial. The ending was kind of sudden though, it's like the budget was running out and they realized they only had like 30 seconds of effects left to tie up the big end-fight.
  • The Auto-bots were total wussies in the movie too. They buildup Ironhide as this big, bad-ass weapons expert, but he doesn't even ace one Decepticon. That said, Prime's take-down on Bonecrusher was boss.
  • After seeing this, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor, I'm convinced that Michael Bay has some type of US Army Vehicle fetish. Dude must masturbate to magazines that have centerfolds of the F-22 Raptor. The camera just kinda "looks" at the pretty girl in the movie, but it gazes lustfully at all of the military hardware.
  • That said, the girl in the movie was pretty, but, depending upon the shot and lighting, she went from looking 18 to looking 42. That's what too much time in the tanning beds will do to you kids!
  • The Cloverfield trailer was odd, but in a good way. I knew I had a good audience when a lady yelled out after the trailer, "What the HELL was that!?!"
  • I'd link to the trailer, but apparently Paramount doesn't want anyone not paying for Transformers to see it, just go to YouTube and search for "Cloverfield trailer". [Edit: It's now posted at Apple's Trailer site]
  • Apparently, a bunch of 7-11's have been turned into Kwik-E-Marts in preparation for the forthcoming Simpsons Movie. I may have to make a pilgrimage. Too bad they drew the line at Duff Beer.


I got some cool stuff for my birthday too so I may include some reviews of that later in the week. Have a good rest-of-the weekend and I'll talk at you soon.

2 comments:

joncormier said...

I think Michael Bay replaced his script with a text book about population, ammo, miles per gallon, etc etc. Nobody actually talked to one another in that movie - they all told the audience "facts."

Plus the Jon Voight grabbing a shotgun to go all DOOM on a transformer was absolutely hilarious. "Oh yeah, great idea!"

Jason said...

I thought Voight was fun as an alternate-universe-competent Donald Rumsfeld.

There were points when I literally thought John Turturro was going to start chewing the scenery. I was like he parachuted in from some other movie.