Monday, January 03, 2022

2022: The Year I Post Through It

 I have let this blog lie dormant for over ten years, but thanks to Bully, I am going to try and do something with it. My plan is this, every week, hopefully Sunday night, I will throw up something about what I've been reading/watching/eating/feeling. I make no promises, but we will see what happens. But anyway, this year is two days old and here's what I've gotten up to.

Movies:

The beauty of working from home is that I often need something on in the background, because silence drives me nuts. Here's what I got up to in the last two days (full reviews, if I feel like it, at Letterboxd).

Crime of Passion: For the new year, Criterion Channel put up a collection of Sterling Hayden movies and this was one I hadn't heard of before. He and Barbara Stanwyck are great and Hayden plays understated and upstanding for once. It's good stuff, check it out if you have a sub to the channel.

Throne of Blood: With the Coen Brother (singular) The Tragedy of MacBeth dropping soon I decided to catch up on some other cinematic takes on the story. I'd seen this one before but it's a firecracker with Mifune doing incredible work. 

Fiend Without A Face: We watched a movie the other day which featured this on in the background, decided to give it a watch since black & white monster movies are usually a relaxing way to do Sunday mornings for us. This is a good one.

Conan The Barbarian: Why isn't this in 4K yet? Watched my old DVD and it's still incredible cinema. The high point of Milius's career and I'd love to have a count of all the knock-offs this spawned that clogged video store shelves and cable in the ensuing decade. 

Reading:

Geiger Vol. 1: Geoff Johns has made his bed and is basically dead to me but Jeff Lester of Wait, What podcast mentioned this in his year end list and I had some use it or lose it borrows at Hoopla so I grabbed this first volume. Johns and Gary Frank do a pretty good post-apocalyptic Mad Max take that has a whiff of superheroes to it. You can tell this was intended to be a DC book, before he got shown the door there (including a GI Robot cameo that I'm amazed didn't get changed more drastically). It's fine, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd grab a second volume on Hoopla again. 

Video Games:

Finally got through the Grasp of Avarice dungeon on Destiny 2. That sparrow part was a slog but the rest is a blast. You can tell Bungie had a good time putting it together.

Music:

Still winding down Christmas music over here. This is my rolling Christmas playlist (disregard the 2K19, I had intended to do a new one every year, but I just kept adding to this one). 



That's all I got for the week. Gonna try another new feature on Wednesday. Hope you all survive the first week of the year. 

No comments: