Thursday, July 24, 2008

Weekly Singles: 7.23.08

Good googly-moogly, can someone make this fucking weekend. Oh well, at least Wednesday came, and with it, a whole gang o' comics!

Uncanny X-Men #500 - Y'know, I hemmed and hawed over getting this issue. Sure, it was written by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker, probably my favorite two writers right now, plus they're just coming off of a fantastic run on Iron Fist. But, there was the Greg Land problem. I just can't wrap my head around his traced, ultra-rigid artwork. His art just lacks all sense of movement and it completely throws me off. Anyway, after a quick flip-through and seeing that Land was alternating with the Dodson's on are, I decided to give it a whirl. I must say it's pretty good, not the usual blow-out that an anniversary issue is, but since this is more of a set-up issue, rather than a story-line capper that most big anniversary issues are, it works pretty well. I'll be honest, I've wanted to like an X-Men on-going for a while (Astonishing didn't count), so I may have to give this one a try for a while.

Ambush Bug: Year None #1 - Bullet points for this one:
  • It's funny
  • I'm really happy to see Giffen drawing in his old "new" style again
  • It's so steeped in DC continuity, I feel they should release a special archives collection just to help with all of the references
  • For that reason, it's pretty impenetrable to anyone who didn't read A LOT of DC in the 80's
  • I'm in.
Brave And The Bold #15 - A good conclusion to last month's story. Not much more to say about this, too busy of a week for me to get too excited about it.

The Immortal Iron Fist #17 - Swierczynski & Foreman's first issue measures up to what's come previously, so I'm very happy with it. Hopefully the rest of the storyline will continue with this level of quality.

She-Hulk #31 - Bought this due to the cross-over w/ X-Factor from last week. Meh.

BEST OF THE WEEK

Dan Dare #7 - This is a book I really haven't talked about a lot. Garth Ennis and Gary Erskine have created a darn fine boy's adventure space opera here and it has been a really fun read. The y bring their first storyline to a close here (it promises a new "saga" in September) and we begin, as all good adventure stories do, with our hero in dire circumstances and the entire planet in peril. The whole thing reads like one of Ennis's excellent WWII tales, but in space. Adding to it all, it's just so very British, you almost feel like you should stop to have a cup of tea midway through. Though definitely familiar with the name, Dan Dare, I've never been exposed to any of the previous material, but I'm looking forward to hinting some down now.

So that's what I got, I'm hoping to get a robust assessment of the first two months of Trinity up sometime the weekend, plus maybe I'll throw some other random stuff up as well. Looking forward to checking out The X-Files this weekend, plus another showing of Dark Knight.

No comments: