Friday, July 20, 2007

What I Got: 7.18.07

Well, hell, I really haven't put up any reviews in a long-ass time, have I? Blame it on summer, instead of sitting in the house reading comics, I've actually been outside, having fun. I gotta cut down on that. Well, it was a pretty heavy week, so let's see what I got:

The Brave & The Bold #5

So yeah, Batman beats up on and then teams up with the Legion of Superheroes. Once again, this book feels like it's the textbook for "Fun Superhero Comics 101" and Professors Waid and Perez are at the top of their game. It's amazing while telling an in-continuity story they're able to throw in so many absurd silver-age references that all come off as a little silly, but not out-right insane or out-of-character. Simply put, it you like these characters, this is the place to be.

Plus you get Batman flying with a Legion flight ring. That is 7 different ways of awesome...do the math!





The Spirit #8

Well, Darwyn Cooke's getting back into the form that made the first four issues of this series such a delight. I'd say he's not all the way back yet, but this is still a very good issue. I'd say more, but Chris has already used a "Mr. Sexypants" joke in his reviews, so I got nothin'.











Supervillian Team-Up: M.O.D.O.K.'s 11 #1

This is a very good first issue for this little mini-series from Fred Van Lente (joining Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction and Jeff Parker in keeping Marvel afloat these days) featuring a revenge heist planned by every one's favorite big-headed, tiny-armed, megalomanical freak-of-evil-science. After the cursory re-telling of M.O.D.O.K.'s origin (this time inserting one of the writer's favorite creations, Monica Rappacini) we get the gathering of the villains (or in some cases anti-heroes). As you might imagine, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with most of these guys, but they come off more down-trodden than pathetic, so it works to help the reader gain their sympathy. the only real problem with this issue is that there's not enough M.O.D.O.K., but this being the set-up issue, it's more than forgivable. I look forward to the rest of this series.


Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil #4

It's official, I've used up every good adjective in my reviews of the previous three issues of this. The collection's coming in a few months, buy it and guarantee your place in Heaven.*













Captain America #28

This series continues to plug along very well after the death of its title character. That said, this issue is pretty much all set-up for the throw-down that's coming between the Red Skull's goons, Bucky/Winter Soldier & S.H.I.E.L.D. I may have to drop this one and go back to waiting for the trade, it's just too bad that due to the CW scheduling clusterfuck, the trades on this series are a bit behind. Hmmmmmm....I'll guess I'll stick it out another month to see if it picks up.







World War Hulk #2

HULK. SMASH. NEW. YORK.

That is all.












So thanks for sticking around, the weather's nice this weekend, so I'll probably be outside playing with the kiddies. I should have some fighting up tonight, if I can get the darn scanner working. We'll see, have a good one!

*The author makes no warranties or promises towards Shazam guaranteeing your place in any afterlife.

No comments: